stormydawnc

Book.Blog.Bake.

Blogger at bookblogbake.wordpress.com

A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine #1)

A Corner of White - Jaclyn Moriarty I really hate that I don't like this book. Based on the summary alone, this is such a "Me!" book. I love when parallel worlds collide or when a book has a really quirky and entertaining plot, but this one just didn't do it for me.I decided to not finish this one because at 30% in, I still couldn't care about the characters or felt like I really had a good grasp on them, especially Madeleine. Elliot was more fleshed-out, but even still I never felt anything resonant with me in this story. I found myself skipping pages and eyeing my progress warily. I also had trouble getting absorbed in to the story because I could never forget I was reading someone's writing. Normally there's a moment within the first few pages of a book that makes me forget I'm reading words and make me become absorbed in to the story again, but that never happened in this book. Some of the description was over-the-top and I couldn't overlook it. I like experimental and quirky writing, but it has to suck me in to the story first. I remember reading a line about car headlights scowling and I had to just sit there for a few seconds re-reading the sentence to make sure I read it right the first time.I did enjoy the the chapters that were set in the world of Cello more, even though they tended to be confusing. I think if I read on I probably would have understood the world better, but I did like the quirky and unique aspects of it. I think I could have really liked this book if it was set only in Cello. As much as I love parallel world stories, this one just didn't do it for me. There are definitely readers who will enjoy this book in all it's fun, quirky aspects, but I just didn't feel enough connection to the characters to continue with the story.