stormydawnc

Book.Blog.Bake.

Blogger at bookblogbake.wordpress.com

Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me: A Memoir...of Sorts

Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me: A Memoir. . . of Sorts - Ian Morgan Cron I think this book suffers from the same memoir syndrome that Mennonite in a Little Black Dress suffered from. The stories are unwieldy at times and don’t always flow together well. Cron tells individual stories in a very inviting way, and pulls you into all the aspects of his life. However, at times this book seemed more like disjointed stories than a polished memoir. I think it’s because of this that it took me three weeks to read this book, which rarely happens. I was interested in it. . . until the scenes shifted and I wasn’t anymore.That’s what keeps this book from being a 4 or 5 star book for me, but there is plenty of worthwhile material here. I applaud the honesty it takes to write such a memoir, and as I stated earlier, the individual stories are well-written and emotionally engaging. There’s a chapter towards the end of the book where Cron talks about faith and relates it to his family’s cliff-jumping activities that is exceptionally well done and that chapter gets 5 stars from me.Ultimately, there’s not a whole lot to say about this book. I think it can be a worthwhile read, especially for those who can relate to Cron’s past, but it’s not the amazing book I thought it would be. Decent, but a bit of a disappointment.Final Impression: At times, the great writing shines through, but there’s not enough of a cohesion to make this a completely worthwhile read for me. As far as memoirs go, you could do a lot worse, but it’s not a book I would recommend buying at full price. 3/5 stars. Review originally appeared on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake.